Monday, August 21, 2006

Arabic Wikipedia Day

August 26th, 2006 - I want YOU on your computer!

This post is for people who don't know what Wikipedia is, or at least know what it is but don't know how to contribute.

Wikipedia is the free online encyclopedia. Anyone can write in it about anything -within the rules of Wikipedia. For example, you can't go and create a node about youself and your hobbies unless you are like a famous person who deserves to be in an encyclopedia :P

So, are you a doctor? Are you a computer programmer? Are you a banker? Maybe you are just a very well-read person and you know more about al-motanabbi than most people? LOL Any 'knowledge' that you know more about, go and write a professional node in Arabic to add it the Arabic Wikipedia. Do try and learn the rules first so people don't get annoyed at you.

Arabic Wikipedia Day is really a cool, proactive step. It encourages even me, a strictly english contributor, to get out of my comfort zone. I know what I will contribute in Arabic will be of lesser quality, but that's what Wikipedia is for, right? It is open for everyone to join, contribute and edit work to create a body of knowledge that free and in Arabic.

+ Saudi Jeans

+ Naif

Have fun!

4 Comments:

At 3:51 a.m., August 22, 2006, Blogger DiDi said...

Hey! I was so determined to conribute.. but i found the webpage a bit too confusing.. show me how later? :)

 
At 6:28 p.m., August 24, 2006, Blogger confused arab chick said...

I wish i could. Damn british schools made me illitrae in my mamas toungue yo!

 
At 3:10 a.m., August 26, 2006, Blogger ymialien said...

Wikipedia is definitely one of my favorite tools to use online, the vast amount of knowledge found there is amazing. I use it for university papers, to read up about latest news (did you know Pluto is no longer one of our 9 planets) and general personal gains in knowledge.

To have an Arabic version is a great advantage, I only wish the data base increases, I find it difficult to find all my specific interests, and what disappoints me is that I’m not eloquent enough to add anything in Arabic...guess I’ll remain a faithful user.

I hope more people get to read your blog and take advantage of this powerful tool.

seff

 
At 8:42 p.m., August 30, 2006, Blogger ren_crow said...

Yea I discovered Wikipedia last year and was totally hooked! I think I went overboard poring over various proto-semitic, Indo-aryan and Indo-european languages.

Did you know Maltese spoken by the inhabitants of Malta (an island in the Mediterranian off the coast of Italy I presume) is the only european language that is based on Arabic?
Or that Romany which is spoken by the Gypsies that live in romania and hungary, originates from the Indian subcontinent and has many similar roots and words to Urdu and Hindi?

Yea lol I need to lay off the Wiki for a while

 

Post a Comment

<< Home