Monday, August 21, 2006

I can park a car!

I did my driving license in Canada. However, it is only a G1, which means I can only drive with a licensed and experienced driver next to me. This DOES NOT mean I can't drive. I did not go through 30 terrible hours of driver training and classes to be told I can't drive! I probably am a safer driver than a lot of people because I learned how to drive 'defensively' =) Thus, the day the bill is signed that Saudi women can drive, I will be one of the first to get down to the street and drive legally, safely and within the speed limit!

Anyways, this is not the point of this post. The point is...Well...Ok...I can drive but I can't park in a normal parking lot under 1 minute if my life depended on it! Let alone parallel parking!! The reason is ... Besides my spatial handicap due to my female genes (All respect to females who DO have high spatial intelligence!), is that I haven't had enough practice! This always annoyed me but I never got around practicing it.

Also anyone who is reading this post and was with us a couple of weeks ago might remember how much trouble I had parking Sahar's car :S Having all you friend plus a couple of strangers stand outside the restuarant waiting and watching you attempt to park is not exactly my happy place.

I was checking out my favorite blogs and guess what I found! Someone pasted a link for a simulated parking exercise in a comment here how a Saudi women should not drive before trying this exercise out. I was like Yippeeeee!!!!! Thanks SomeGuyFromAnotherPlanet =)

Ok, I did crash a few cars several times in every direction, but that's what simulations are for, alright! Eventually I got it right! My simple mind suddenly clicked..AAAAAAAAAHHHHH so you turn the wheel in THAT direction to backup in THAT direction...I seeee...hehe.



To all you Saudi chicks, start practicing!

4 Comments:

At 1:02 p.m., August 21, 2006, Blogger Omar H. Al-Madhi said...

42.4?

HA! It's ok. You might get better at it with time :P

I got 20.3 my first time :P

Love ya :-) (i.e. don't beat me up)

 
At 1:27 p.m., August 21, 2006, Blogger SunShine said...

Hey!!!!!! < insert POUT here :( >
Thanks for the vote on confidence lol you show-off!!

I had to try 6 times before I got it in without crashing!!! So, 42.4 seconds to SAFELY park a car is awesome :P

 
At 6:45 p.m., August 21, 2006, Blogger Robin said...

Parallel parking can only be learned with experience. I have seen plenty of guys from the "sticks" who can't parallel park in a city simply because they have not had much practice!

Also, it has to do with getting used to a particular car. Every time I have bought a new car, I have had to re-learn how to park.

All this to say, it has nothing to do with genes. Most people who flunk a driving test, male or female , do so because of points lost on parallel parking.

Anyway, defensive driving skills are more important than parallel parking.

Congratulations Sunshine! And having lived in KSA, I have always maintained that the day women get the right to drive is the day that the abysmal driving conditions begin to improve!

 
At 11:17 p.m., August 26, 2006, Blogger Big N said...

i totally agree with geshtinnana about the importance of the defensive driving skills. u will learn parkign by parctice but u need to obtain some defensive driving skills more by being careful and trying to hav everythign under control and knwo wot is goin around outside the car.

i started driving when i was inthe fifth grade in medina. i had an accident the first day and i ran away and the car i was driving was already hit fromthat angle so no one ever noticed. lool the next time i crahsed my bros bmw into a 1 8 wanait lol and i ran away and i was grounded for that i was only in the 8th grade his car costed a fortune. the thirdtime loool i had to go to jail when i had an accident cuz i didnt hav a driver's license but i learned from all my accidents and im and excellent driver now so dont worry u will learn some how

 

Post a Comment

<< Home