Sunday, May 28, 2006

Humility...it's so sexy

Quote that is paraphrased from a wise friend called DLo:
" It is so hard to find a humble engineer. I married the first smart, successful, humble engineer I met cuz you know what? Humility is so sexy"

It's so true. Once you remove yourself from the circle of the shallow and the dumb, you get in another trap, you get surrounded by the pompous and the arrogant. Whether in the engineering, the medical or the BUSINESS field, you will always find those who are too cocky for their own good. Living for a year in a competitive, business school environment only made me more aware and more capable of differentiating between the flowers and the weeds.

You cannot identify the weeds from the truly successful right away, but once you get too close, their stink repels you quicker than you can say "ewww!". Here are some hints: They are rude. They never listen and it's always 'me!me!me!' and the only way they feel superior is by putting you down.

I know what most of you are thinking.
Well, it's obvious PSYC 101. This arrogance is a sign of weakness. A beacon of insecurity. A proof of falsity.
And I agree...

On one hand, you have the smart, the hard-working, the competent and the proud. On the other, you have the pretenders, the ass-kissers, the stickers and the low-class. The easiest way to distinguish between the two groups is humility.

Humility...that is the key indicator of true success.

The Humble man does not need to speak of his achievements, his achievements speak for him.
The Humble, Accomplished man does not need to 'drop names' to show status, his status draws people to him.
The Humble, Accomplished, Esteemed man does not attack people to put them in thier place and passess it off as a 'joke', he welcomes and listens people because he knows how stupid is it to underestimate people or of if he really has something to say, he doesn't hide behind the armor of humor.

ولا لأ يا بو الشباب؟

8 Comments:

At 5:00 p.m., May 28, 2006, Blogger SunShine said...

LOL you go girl! I say stick with him and appreciate him because those are rare and hard to come by =)

 
At 8:50 a.m., May 29, 2006, Blogger Nuri said...

Good post... completely true...

 
At 10:50 a.m., May 29, 2006, Blogger Bravecat said...

True, true.

But, humility is also rather boring...
You need a certain attitude, flair if you like, and some achievements that talk for themselves without the need of showing off, to be humble AND sexy. Otherwise, you're just plain humble, period.

 
At 1:28 p.m., May 29, 2006, Blogger SunShine said...

*raf,
You are absolutely correct. Humility is important in women as well as men. However, certain negative traits in women are more common than arrogance (for example, deciet)

thanx mononoke for ur support =)

QC,
you know what...I think you are right. I may have been too rash in that post. I was just reacting to a situation. A more complete post would have included that arguement!

It has been mentioned by a certain observant individual that while I preach about the beauty and sexiness of humility, women are generally attracted by men with more 'personality'. I certainly won't deny that fact =) However, to gain long-lasting respect, the trick for the person to strike that balance between an intelligent gentleman and a know-it-all-prick.

 
At 3:39 a.m., May 30, 2006, Blogger ahmed said...

well there are others who like "arrogance" and they find it sexy..right?

 
At 7:25 a.m., May 30, 2006, Blogger Mystique said...

I am ALWAYS late in commenting..
Totally over whelmed these days.. don't know even why!

I do want this:
The Humble man does not need to speak of his achievements, his achievements speak for him.
The Humble, Accomplished man does not need to 'drop names' to show status, his status draws people to him.

And Sunshine, I am attracted to men with personality AND charisma, and please I must include "Sexy their very own way"


Your post is amazing..
Keep it up babe..

 
At 11:01 p.m., May 30, 2006, Blogger SunShine said...

ahmed,
yes of course. People find all kinds of different things sexy. LOL I was expressing myself.

Mystique,
thanks honey for your support! Humility does not replace charisma.

tantalize,
Possible. Check my blog in say...5 years, even if you are no longer blogging, I will make sure that I mention if you were right or wrong.

 
At 5:20 p.m., May 31, 2006, Blogger HelloMe said...

gotta say.. I like them with attitude! lol

 

Post a Comment

<< Home