Sunday, May 14, 2006

La Traviata

Although I was supposed to go to Toronto this weekend, I stayed to work on - non other than - TAX. YES :S Again. Hopefully, this is the last assignment for Tax I ever have to do.

On Sunday a group from my class were invited to attend La Traviata. I decided it would be a nice break, since this weekend was a write-off anyways. I have a distinct taste for opera so, I wasn't sure about going. I have went to really upscale opera before and it would be hard to impress me. I checked out the program before going. It didn't look too bad =) So, I ended up going...

The story is based on the play “La Dame aux Camelias” by Alexandre Dumas. I recognized it because the second song in the first act is one of my father's favorites. My father has compilations of favorite opera pieces that he listens to in his car. I like that particular song, however, the opera is not one of my favorites.

Nevertheless, I enjoyed it. Rating: C

It is not one of my favorites because it is quiet sad. My favorites are more cheerful and have more dance scenes. I also gave it a C because the stage background was on the cheap side. Costumes, on the other hand, were well-made. I did appreciate the english subtitles (this particular opera was sung in Italian) but I didn't like the location of the projected subtitles. It was waaay up high above the stage. This was annoying because our seats were right upfront by the orchestra. Normally, these would be awesome seats, but since we kept looking up to the subtitles, the dress circle seats would have been a better choice.

I think I will join my father in learning Italian, just to be able to enjoy tradiational opera more.

It was a nice way to spend a sunday =)

3 Comments:

At 11:40 p.m., May 14, 2006, Blogger feveri said...

yea, i've been so impressed by italian lately. I've actually taken up to learning the tid bits asap. Obviously, I started with an opera but im getting to it. I'd so like to check out your dad's collection of operas for my car cuz although i love figaro...there has been a lot of don giovanni now. something new is what my car needs.

 
At 6:53 p.m., May 15, 2006, Blogger SunShine said...

Feveri, sure =) I'll make a post sometime of favorite pieces!

Abdulla, I totally understand cuz opera wasn't always my thing (I'm a hardcore house/techno girl!) Hoowever, what happened is around my senior year, while writing the program for my graduation project, I almost went deaf from techno :S

As so it happens that we go every friday on a family lunch..in my dad's car! There were is where it started..I picked up the CD and listened to it throughout the term.

So, keep an open mind, you never know what you might stumble on =)

 
At 6:48 p.m., May 19, 2006, Blogger DiDi said...

This is such a wonderful incentive to learn Italian!! maybe when u return to Jeddah we can do it together... :)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home