Monday, May 15, 2006

Self-Made Man...by Norah Vincent

Self-Made man is a book about a woman who completely immersed herself in a role of a man named Ned. The writer, Norah Vincent, lived as Ned for 18 months. To make sure that she lives the role right, not only did she enlist the help of professional make-up artists, she also built up her upper body and took voice lesson and tips on make cues. She took into consideration all the little details that really differeniates men from women. Then, she started off her adventure and talked about the friendships, career, relationship and other aspects of Ned.

At the beginning I had my own doubt about this book. I am have nothing against transvistites or other orientations. I'm cool with whatever rocks your boat. But, I was encouraged to read this book because she took this on as a journalist, not as a personal adventure. What I loved most is that she provides her own psychological and sociological analysis of the different situations she faces.

I must say I learned a lot about how men live and think. I am sure men will appreciate the credit that is given to them in this book, how they have it 'harder'. Men must live to the high expectations of thier bosses, wives (women in general) and society. I never believed in traditional feminism and always held men in high esteem. However, this book puts things in clear perspective =)

Rating: B+

I warn you, she is a lesbian. LOL but in the end of the book, she says that she missed and appreciated her feminanity more than ever. Therefore, I recommend reading this book but with an open and focused mind!

4 Comments:

At 2:25 a.m., May 16, 2006, Blogger HelloMe said...

cooool! ab'3a!

 
At 8:50 a.m., May 16, 2006, Blogger Mystique said...

Interesting
I Love weird books

Where are the books your promised me ya sunshine!?

 
At 11:05 a.m., May 16, 2006, Blogger SunShine said...

LOL i told you, I left with with my sister clareeish ;)

I'll bring them over with me in the summer.

 
At 7:34 p.m., May 20, 2006, Blogger DiDi said...

Definitely on the list! and mystique is right, where are the books u promised us? :P

 

Post a Comment

<< Home