Thursday, May 11, 2006

Good News! but I'm also jealous.

Arabic Internet users rejoice!
At last a dedicated, more sophisticaed Arabic search engine will be available.

When I first read a quick article at
New Scientest
, I quickly did a brief research to know who is the smart company that seized this opportunity.


I found at this source that the venture is collaboration between Seekport from Germany (ha..interesting..) and MITSCO from Dubai (as usual.). However when I researched MITSCO, I found that it was Egyptian (ic.). Anybody got the real facts, please tell me.

and yes, jealous. I'm jealous because it's a high-tech venture and it's not in Saudi Arabia. I know in good ol' KSA oil & gas gas is our 'thing'. However, that is NOT really our 'thing' because it's NOT our freakin' oil :S. A handful - that is on one hand - own the @#$%*&^ oil. And what is worse, they don't really care about our economy and its sustainbility, dey care about da moneyyyy. And what's the easiest, fasted way to make money? SELL CRUDE BABY.

Now humor me for a second. I will invite you to my very own Utopia. Imagine - if you will - a country abundant with the hottest commidity of the centuary. Also, imagine it in the hands of real scientists and engineers, in the hands of visionary businessmen and entrepreneurs and operating in an unregulated, uncorrupted free market.

What are the possibilities?
What could have the results been?
Where could we have been on the map of world economy, instead of popping up in the map of War on Terror on Fox?
in the words of my third-grade Arabic teacher: s**** 5ano, ween ra7 mo55ik? Rakzi benti, rakzi.
Yea, I have always been a daydreamer.
if-scenarios belong in documents filed in the strategic planning department at Chevron and ExxonMobil, not in a wishful post on some young girl's blog.
SO, that's why i'm jealous. We don't have any other natural resources, we don't have cheap labor NOR skilled labor and we still got a loooong way before tourism becomes a viable industry in KSA. Technology is our only hope.
However, networking has already been dominated by FDIs, don't even mention semi-coducters and the enterprise solutions market is impossible to enter. Therefore, software IS THE ONLY WAY. I know, I know, that's still ambitious. However, with the advent of skilled labor in multimedia and graphics, software development is on the way. With right investment, management, and incentives, it's possible!
Call me a f****** dreamer, but I'm dedicated to this dream!
and dedication is the first indicator of success!!
Why the f*** did a german company develop an Arabic search engine instead of us?
GGGRRRrrrrrrrhhhhhhhh >:-<

4 Comments:

At 3:21 p.m., May 12, 2006, Blogger Mystique said...

Well
I use google (Saudi Arabia) If I am conducting any market or industry research for my analysis at work,, it is good. soo far
We have to accept the reality we are always the last in the line

 
At 7:38 a.m., May 14, 2006, Blogger Omar Nimri said...

hey thnx for the visit.. i saw the link u posted on my blog and its quite interesting.. maybe it is true!! am gonna dig through the subject more and if i find anything interesting i'll maek sure i'll post it and let u
best of luck with ur blog
Regards from Jordan

 
At 4:58 a.m., May 16, 2006, Blogger Abu Miftah said...

Well well well, I was visited by SunShine on my Living in Saudi Arabia Blog.

Thanks for the comment SunShine.As for Sawafi, check out this post from my Muslim Tech Digest Blog:
"Is Sawafi the Google Killer?"

Let me know what you think...

 
At 6:37 p.m., May 19, 2006, Blogger DiDi said...

How come you've never shared such bright ideas with us before?..

Ma32ool 5aanooo?! :)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home