Sunday, May 21, 2006

Diversity on Steroids!

When my Orthodox Serbian friend asked me about my opinion of the war on Iraq while I was hanging out with my Catholic Spanish friend, my Syberian(yes, Syberia!) friend and my Jewsih friend, I was also text messaging my Vietnamese friend. It was then I realized how different my set of friends have become.

What I never realized before was how sheltered I was in Saudi Arabia. I'm not talking about being sheltered from life challenges, on the contrary, my parents always made sure that I had my fair share of challenges. I am talking about a different kind of shelter. A shelter from diversity.

No matter how different the people I knew in KSA, we are all basically in the same social circle. We are really all the same. The little differences between us in personality and opinions are negligible. There isn't enough diversity. You just can't meet new people.

But here in Canada...omg. diversity on steroids. The sheer velocity of meeting new people is over-whelming! I feel sorry for what I missed out on in the past. No matter how much you read or learn, it's not like the real thing. When you literally rub shoulders with people who are worlds apart from you. It's a very different and enriching experience - if you approach it the right way.

I have met people from different cultures and religions before, but not like this. I am living with an amazing number of different people day after day. I suddenly became aware of how different I am. I also became aware how some comments or opinions that I used to voice so naturally, have to be 'diplomatized' or neuralized because of the environment I am currently in.

Meeting new and different people is so addictive. You get into the most awesome conversations and debates. I learned so, so much, I can almost feel it physically!

I think the lack of diversity of probably one of the reasons why our Arabic countries are not innovative. We are stuck in Groupthink. Yea, we all took the advantages of diversity in Management 101, but who really applies it there?

Throw yourself in the wild! If you live abroad, don't completely stick with your own kind. Step out of your comfort zone with an open mind. Trust me, you won't regret it!

7 Comments:

At 8:14 a.m., May 21, 2006, Blogger ghoweljlsfqwef said...

I couldn't agree with you more. I know this guy who lived in Detroit for 12 years. And a 5th grader could speak better english than him.
When I asked him where he lived, he told me that he lived in an apartment building that was rented out by arabs and they all used to hang with each other and go everywhere together... in other words, they made a their own little arabtown and didn't interact with anyone else.

I think interacting with people from different ethnic backgrounds not only increases our knowledge but also clears up misconceptions and stereotypes. And considering all of the sterotypes flying around about Muslims and Islam, we need to show others that "hey we are peace loving people just like you"

On a lighter note, read this...
http://muttawa.blogspot.com/2006/05/clothing.html

Apparently the Iranians want to color code people according to their religion. I've said it before and I'm saying it again "The Iranians are a bunch of xenophobic *$@*&@"

 
At 12:30 p.m., May 21, 2006, Blogger Nuri said...

I love travelling and meeting people from different places... I used to be an exchange student and now I'm thinking of having exchange students at home... You're right, it's addictive!

 
At 7:15 p.m., May 21, 2006, Blogger ren_crow said...

eh. Been there done that until about 6 years ago(about the same time i came to KSA)

 
At 4:19 a.m., May 22, 2006, Blogger feveri said...

Like it! It just teaches us how biased we are in groupthink and how we need to be open to everything and everyone when we step out. It's true that sometimes you wanna be with ur own people and ur own thinking but isn't that what the vacations are for? ;)


dotsson - haha, that area must be dearborn:p

 
At 8:10 a.m., May 22, 2006, Blogger HelloMe said...

Maaaaan! do arabs need to diversify!!!

 
At 1:41 p.m., May 23, 2006, Blogger SunShine said...

absolutely agree. Tolerance is never about comprimising your own principles and values!

Thanks all for you comments!
dotsoon,
That is such a *typical* example of someone who refuses to step out the comfort zone and meanwhile, lost the amazing chance of growing as a person.

Ummm, you also don't want to generalize that about 'Iranians'. I got several friends from there who are awesome and extremely friendly. I would hate any of them to read this blog about diversity and tolerance, then find a comment like that!!

miss_ch,
Probably being an expat provides more leeway to meet more people. However, I am talking about the how often and how different the new people you can meet in your life.

Saudi definately doesn't attract 'diverse' people. It is a fact that CONFORMITY is applauded here not individualism.

For example, as a result, you and I could be quite different, but in essence we are the same because our religion and how we were brought up. We will probably disagree on some relatively smaller trivialities and opinions here and there. But, I bet we will agree on the most issues =)

Imagine meeting someone completely and utterly different. The only thing you have in common with her is your gender and age. I assure you, if you keep an open mind, you will have the most exciting conversations and you will learn so so much more if you were talking with me, without having to change or comprimise anything!

oh, and welcome to my blog =)

 
At 5:36 p.m., May 27, 2006, Blogger DiDi said...

So true! But u know what? I believe that people in Saudi Arabia (or Jeddah at least that are more diverse than they appear.. they just try to "blend in" as not to attract negative attention... I remember a girl from school who acted like she was *pure* saudi, never spoke another dialect and so on.. 5 years later i found out from someone else that she's actually Egyptian! why she hid that is beyond me..

 

Post a Comment

<< Home