Tuesday, May 23, 2006

What is happening to Egypt

I spent a couple of summers at the AAST in Alexandria, Egypt. The reason is that my family was spending the summer there and I wanted to finish some credits for my undergraduate degree (as well as avoid taking any class with the accounting prof at my school!). So, I enrolled as a summer student for two years and took up to four courses. I must say it was a different experience.

Saudi Arabia is supposedly the most intolerant of all the Arabic/Islamic countries. Rules are strict and all must adhere. Egypt, was always known as the most tolerant because of the relatively high percentage of different faiths practiced there as well as it being a popular tourist destination.

Obviously, as with the rest of the Islamic world, the new wave of extremitism has caught on. In my opinion, I think Alexandria's situation is worse than Cairo. In addition to my first-hand experience there, this observation is clearly exemplified in the recent church attacks there.

What is worse is the news about condemning statues (such as pharonic sculptures) that we heard a couple of weeks ago. I sincerely hope that someone up there in Eygpt would put an end to this madness. I hope they do not do the same mistake of destroying precious acheological sites like KSA did.

So, why am I writing this?
Well, because my family is going again to this summer. My grandmother loves Egypt and she insists on going there every summer. What is different now is that I honestly don't want to go. Neither do my little sisters. It is strange change from a number of years ago, when Egypt was our second home. It was truly the most fun place I could imagine. The movie theatres, the culture, the beaches...everything. We weren't one of those terrible tourists that visited Egypt just for its 'nightlife'. My parents both attended university there. So, we were very much integrated into society there. We spoke the dialect, knew the places to go and cared about Egypt's economy and politics.

What changed is that Egypt is no longer the lovely picture that I have in mind. At least in Saudi, rules are clear and obvious. We have learned how to live with and around them. There is a certain degree of enforced tolerance between the extremists, the moderates and the liberals. Not so in Egypt.

It is uncomfortable now to walk in the streets of Alexandira. No matter how covered or uncovered you are...I don't know...there is a tight, upset tension. You no longer can have safe, balanced fun. It's either you are a 'bad' girl or you go attend those redundant religious lectures. There is no 'medium'. It is even SCARY now to even think about a quick trip to Sharm Al-Shiek.

I can articulate the change and talk about it. But, my little sisters couldn't. They just said: "Egypt?" ... and a sad face...
Even those little angels can sense the tension and frustration in the streets.

I love "Umm el Dunya" and I hope it changes to the better...

3 Comments:

At 10:07 a.m., May 24, 2006, Blogger ren_crow said...

Sorry to hear that. Ive never been to egypt but ive always known its famous not just for its ancient history but also its diversity.
But are you sure ure not just generalizing? I mean u might feel that way but that might not be the case for someone else.
I'd like to think that people can go to egypt and still enjoy life there no matter what has happened. Inshallah things will get better.

 
At 10:45 a.m., May 24, 2006, Blogger ahmed said...

are you saying this because of the latest incidents happened in Alexanderia?

I hope things get better soon :)

 
At 10:03 a.m., May 26, 2006, Blogger SunShine said...

I hope things get better too =)
Oh, I'm definately not generalizing. I meant the majority is going on this trend. You can definately still find people all across the spectrum.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home