Monday, September 25, 2006

I am a sponge. I am a sponge.

So, yea, I thought it would be smart to skip taking a weekend since I will be away most of this week in London. I went to the office on both Thursday and Friday to catch up. Why already have to ‘catch up’ and it is still my first week?

It is not just the acronyms and lingo that is challenging. Oh no, those you pick up after the first two days. The hard part is that in my line of work, I must deal with everyone, channels, sales, partners, marketing…etc. As a result, I have to know how everything works and the names of everybody involved; externally and internally. Nice.

Well to be honest, I am lucky. The first projects I got involved in were with a very nice guy. I admit that in the beginning I was a little unsure of him and his attitude towards women working with him in the same office, but it turns out that he is a very respectable, intelligent and nice guy. All he wanted was to make sure that I am professional and serious and not here to waste his time and I respect that. I admire his confident attitude. Actually, it seem most of the people hired by this company are smart and confident. I quite like it =)

Despite the great atmosphere, how much can a sponge hold before it starts dripping? I will have to bring in additional dry area to absorb this deluge of information successfully. Aaaahhh :S Why did they not teach us THIS STUFF in school? It would have been nice to learn more about supply chains in Saudi Arabia or the true organizational structure of our ministries instead me scrambling to drink up everything in my way.

On a side note,
I am experiencing a very new feeling. It is very strange and not directly related to work. I also cannot fully explain it. I am scared of this feeling. There is something that I want very much. Something I have never wanted before. I hope I make the right decision.


I am in Riyadh’s airport now, going to Jeddah to catch my connecting flight to London. I hope my luck with airports has taken a turn to the positive!

5 Comments:

At 4:10 p.m., September 25, 2006, Blogger Unknown said...

One of the many keys to success is adapting well to your surroundings and colleagues.. thats what I love about multi national companies, there isnt room for Bull Sh**!

Wish u luck and a safe return from London

 
At 10:08 p.m., September 25, 2006, Blogger Veva said...

Hey girl... ya I understand the sponge metaphor.. at the beginning they stuff you with information.. but take it easy you will learn it and it doesnt have to be right now...
You will get use pretty soon... to segregate what you need from the whole bunch of information they give you...
New feeling? what do you mean?

 
At 7:57 a.m., September 26, 2006, Blogger ren_crow said...

Wow u travel around more than i do!
Well make sure u tell us all about what happened in London.
Its nice that ure adapting so well to the company environment. Sounds like ure well on yor way to some great things;)
Wish u the best of luck!

oh btw Ramadan kareem:)

 
At 8:10 a.m., September 26, 2006, Blogger DP said...

:D Hehe make sure you take some time for yourself when and where you can though ... being a sponge is very nice (in terms of really reducing the impact of a learning curve) but even sponges need a time-out from time to time :) (was gonna say they needed a squeeze but that just doesnt quite sound right :P)

Best of luck

 
At 7:19 p.m., October 05, 2006, Blogger DiDi said...

you're quite a "porous" sponge.. so no need to worry :) though dp is right, don't forget to take a time-out.
good luck with that new feeling - whatever that is- :D

 

Post a Comment

<< Home