Friday, May 05, 2006

My Reflections on Freakonomics

If you know me, you would know I normally don't read the 'mainstream' books. Unless a best-seller is truly unique, best-sellers are usually on the bottom of my reading list. It's not from the principle "خالف تعرف", on the contrary, no one usually knows what I'm reading. The point I am trying to make that sometimes, there are true treasures which have been missed by the media. And sometimes, the media overhypes a book which is not that impressive.

Freakonomics is an example of that. An interesting book with potential that has been over-hyped by the media. I resisted buying it for while because my list of books to read - although has a quick turnover - is always long. A book has to be really, reallyyy special to skip the queue :P

After a while, I gave in. I bought Freakonomics after I read several reviews. When I finally got my hands on it, I started devouring it. I must admit, it's very catching in the beginning. However, as I reached the middle, I started getting uncomfortable.

ehhh... I like a book - especially non-fiction - that is not only entertaining but has valuable content. Valuable content is measure by the use of the information I gain. It is interesting to understand what school teachers and sumo wrestlers have in common or how the inner workings of a drug gang operate. Fortunately, I learned how to read and think critically. Critical thinking makes you absorb and synthesize information then interpret it to understand what is the author really saying. I must say, I am a bit disappointed. Not completely disappointed, but just a bit. I cannot confidently say that I have learned something truly valuable. For example, one chapter tries to answer the question: Why do drug-dealers live with their mother. The short answer: they don't make that much money. The other chapters are very different in topics but similar in the type of questions that 'no one ever thought of asking before'. I guess that is what makes the book unique, but it's frustrating in the way it deals with each 'problem'.

I can see the use of measuring teachers' cheating, but it stops there. Or, it veers into a direction that is anything BUT how to solve this problem. Maybe I am a person who likes depth rather than breadth. If you read the book, I strongly suggest that you read the introduction. The introduction works more like a disclaimer for the book. He explains how it doesn't have a unifying theme. LOL. He pretty much summed up all the possible criticism in those two words. I also understood why he made a point to mention the praise he got from some harvard professors on his book. He probably needed that to establish credibility. Harvard professor or not, I like a book with more focus than this. Then again, this is not an academic book, it is a 'best-seller' and to create a best-seller, you might have to sacrifice something to make it more interesting. Verdict: B-. I expected more.

If you are a true avid reader, I recommend that you DO NOT stick to only the well-known and popular books. You're knowledge is going to be limited and as useful 95% other readers in the world. I believe a person should specialize in a specific field, before he or she can cross-specialize and become truly knowledgable. If you read one day a book about politics, make a conscious effort to make the next book you read also about politics. Treat the bibliography as a suggested readings list. This is how you will make your knowledge a little less fragmented.


Of course, I am not completely condemning being a balanced, wholesome person by reading about different subjects. I am the first one to plead guilty of this! All I am saying is that choose the books you read intelligently. Fiction aside, don't read a book just because it is the next big thing. Make sure you have a clear path that is in line with your interests and select the books that will really add value.

Freakonomics is obviously the result of someone who read too little about a lot!

This is not an attack - just my own reflections =)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home